Registering an Individual Account
The online registration portion can be done using any computer connected to the internet, for example at work, school, libraries, and public access terminals. Please ask the person to enter on the form their name as it appears on any valid picture ID, utility bill or personal cheques, for us to verify later if they want a PPP access.
If the person has an existing account and wants to upgrade to graphics (PPP), go to Part 2: PPP Activation. We will ask for a valid picture ID or cheque to active an account for (dialup) PPP access. If the person isn’t at the office then call them using the phone number they registered with.
Please refer telephone and email inquiries to the website for complete information.
THE FOLLOWING IS FOR WALK-IN CLIENTS AT THE VCN HELPDESK:
PART 1: ONLINE
- Seat the person at a public terminal.
- Show them how to open an internet browser, go to www2.vcn.bc.ca.
- Show them the “Register for a VCN account” link.
- Point out the “User Agreement”. Make sure they read and understand this, as they will have to agree to the terms on it.
- Click “Email Sign Up for Individuals“
- Explain how to fill the password and login id. Remain available in case they have questions or problems. Ensure they have clicked the Submit button and seen their ‘successful registration’ information.
- Suggest to the person to jot down the information on “Successful Registration” page on a piece of paper and keep it for their record.
- Close the browser when finished. This is done to make sure that the user’s information is flushed out of the browser’s cache.
PART 2: PPP ACTIVATION
- Bring them into the helpdesk office or call them on the phone.
- Use Terminal to verify if the person has an existing account.
- Check if their names they said on the phone, on the ID, cheque or utility bill matches the ones shown on the Terminal . If the names don’t match, ask them to repeat the online registration procedure again.
- Ask if they are able to make a donation ($40 – FAMILY; $25 – SINGLE; $15 – LOW INCOME). Follow the instructions in https://volunteer.vcn.bc.ca/donations if they wish to make a donation.
- Give them the appropriate Help Page for setting up their connection. Tell them about the help section on the website if they need help. They can also call the helpdesk at 778-724-0826 or email us at [email protected], if they have problems with setting up the dialup connection.
- Each user is allowed to have a single account. If the user has other accounts, the other accounts will be deleted. Follow the https://volunteer.vcn.bc.ca/cancelling-a-vcn-account/ for information.
- Notify the user by phone or e-mail that other accounts on their name will be deleted, and so they will have to notify the helpdesk which account they intend to keep.
- Dial-up and internet services are free, and it is not mandatory for the users to make a donation to VCN in order to have their PPP access activate. However, VCN rely on donations to support its operations. Always ask the users for a donation whenever they request for a PPP access.