User Search using Terminal
Terminal is a program that allows you to securely login to VCN using ssh. Always use Terminal! Do not use telnet to login to VCN because it allows anyone on the network to see your password.
- Open Terminal .
- Once on the main page, type ‘2’ to “search for a user on the system” , then hit ‘enter
- Type a person’s first name, last name, or login ID in the search bar (this tool can only search a single name at a time, therefore typing a full name will yield no results)
- Press ‘enter’ then ‘y’
- You shall be presented a list of the people who have the name you entered.
User Search Results
The following people have registered online:
* VAL means the account has been validated. (ie. It should work.)
* QUE means the account has been queued to be validated tonight.
* If blank the account has not yet been validated. If blank for more than 2 weeks there may be a problem.
Below is what you will usually see.
Open Terminal .
2. Once on the main page, type ‘2’ to “search for a user on the system” , then hit ‘enter’
Text User mrscarf Bob smith VAL PPP User ander11 Brian Smith VAL Langara l.awon08 ALICE (NGA SZE) WONG VAL PPP Org bcssnsh BCSS North Shore Branch
VAL means the account has been validated, it should work.
QUE means the account has been queued to be validated tonight.
If blank the account has not yet been validated.
Text accounts can only receive email.
PPP means dialup access and email.
Langara is a legacy name for Langara College accounts.
Org means this is group/organization account
Bob Smith has registered, but is not validated. Brian Smith has been validated and can dialup and use email. ALICE WONG is a validated PPP Langara user. BCSS North Shore Branch is a validated PPP Group account.