Scope of Helpdesk Service:
VCN volunteers have the right not to provide assistance to issues outside the scope of VCN services.
The VCN Helpdesk can help:
- Register Users
- setup dialup connection to VCN
- setup email program to send and receive VCN email
- help users access VCN services like:
- help them send/receive email using webmail
- connect using telnet/putty
- access the mailing lists
VCN Help Desk Volunteer should ask the walk-in User sign “User Release and Waiver of Liability” before helping the User to set up dial up on their computer/laptop (a form is available in Document Library)
Sources of help:
- Search the volunteer manual
- Search VCN Help Pages
- Search the problem on google.com, eg “error 691” or “Relaying denied”. You can try other search engines, computer-related forums, since millions of people use internet programs, so someone online is bound to have run into the same problem.
- Ask and work it through with your co-workers
- Send an e-mail: [email protected] or create a request in Request Tracker with as much relevant info as possible.
The VCN DOES NOT help:
- teach how to use windows, word, excel and other software not related to VCN services.
- debug/fix/write webpages
- debug/fix/write cgi/php programs
- setup advanced features in internet programs.
Give user’s broad referral’s of help:
- See the software/manufacturer’s help manual
- See the software/manufacturer’s online support
- free online sources of information
- online discussion groups
- buy-sell groups
- the person who sold/gave them their computer
- yellow pages
- computer books at library
- computer courses at educational institutions
- Free Geek